The GEEP laboratory has been designed to include four research stations, which can be used to switch on field power sources when they are not already in use at the teaching stations. Facilities have been provided to connect field power sources to three-phase main grid or micro-grids, isolated load banks or battery banks, and motors and energy storage, by developing novel power converters and advanced control algorithms.
The laboratory provides a much-needed experimental platform for cutting-edge research in many areas linked to renewable energy and micro-grids including:
- grid integration of renewable energy sources
- design and control of renewable energy-based micro-grids
- standalone micro-grids and hybrid power supplies for remote areas
- design and control of novel power converters for renewable energy applications
- smart grid technologies
- energy storage technologies and back-up power supplies
- smart vehicles.